When you need new siding, finding the right contractor for the job is one of the most important things you can do! At Crown Builders, we want to help ensure that your experience hiring a siding contractor is a positive one with these five tips.
1. Confirm with the manufacturer that the company is certified- A simple check with the manufacturer to confirm that your intended company is certified to install their materials can be very beneficial. For example, looking for a siding contractor who is a JamesHardie Preferred Elite Contractor or Mastic PlyGem Elite Contractor will help you in the long run.
2. Verify with the NC/SC Secretary of State that the company is licensed to do business- Using an unlicensed contractor can open you up to loads of issues! Do your homework and make sure that their business is a legit one. Make sure you verify their years in business as well!
3. Ask to see a copy of their insurance certificate- All contractors should carry some kind of insurance and should openly show their insurance certificate without hesitation. A refusal to do so should be seen as a red flag.
4. Ask for their general contractor license number if your job is over $30,000- Any job that requires spending so much money needs to be done by a general contractor. A qualified contractor should readily provide their general contractor license number for you to make appropriate checks.
5. Take the time to contact the references your contractor has provided- Checking out references is important! It is the checking of references that can help you determine if you want to work with someone. After all, there are plenty of contractors who look good on paper, but aren’t great to work with.