Roofing 101: A Brief Guide to Roofing Materials
When it’s time to choose a new roof, there is a lot to consider, including what kind of roofing materials you want to use. With so many types on the market to choose from, it comes down to more than just budget. Here is a brief guide to roofing materials to help you make an informed choice.
- Asphalt Shingles- Clearly the most popular type of roofing material, over 75% of American homes use asphalt shingles. They are affordable, easy to install and are very resilient. However, they lack in insulation value, have a short lifespan, and are the least “green” of all of the roofing material options.
- Clay & Concrete Tiles- Since clay and concrete roofing tiles are heavy, they require an additional roof frame. They come in lighter colors, which helps to reflect 50% of solar energy, making them ideal for those looking to save on their energy bills. They look great on Mediterranean, European, and ranch-style homes and can last 50+ years.
- Wood Shingles & Shakes- Wood shingles and shakes come in a variety of types of wood, including cedar, redwood, and southern pine. Since they are made of wood, you will want to ensure that they are Class A with fire-resistant treatment. If properly treated, they can last 30-50 years and are very environmentally friendly, since they are made from natural materials.
- Metal- Metal roofing is likely the best option for both temperature and style. Available in copper, aluminum, and stainless steel, metal shingles are high in recycled content and offer high insulation and solar reflectivity. They can last twice as long as wood or asphalt shingles and come in a variety of styles made to mimic other popular styles, such as wood shakes or shingles, slate, and tile.
- Slate- A beautiful and distinctive appearance, a slate roof may be very heavy, but it will last for longer than any other roofing material – up to 100 years! Easy to repair and recycle, slate is ideal for homes located in lower-heat locations and for homes built in colonial, french, and chateau styles.
To learn more about roofing, Give us a call in Charlotte, North Carolina today! Our professional roofing services work with any style or size of shingles or other roofing materials, including new flashing, wood roofing replacement, and much more. And best yet, we offer a 10-year workmanship guarantee on all new roofing systems!