5 Top Siding Materials
Siding can be a beautiful and cost-effective way to improve the exterior of your home. Also, since there are many different options for siding materials, you now have more choices than ever; even having the ability to mix-and-match siding to suit the design of your home. Here are 5 of the most popular types of siding materials:
1. Vinyl Siding – Made from PVC, vinyl siding is the most popular siding choice when building new, single-family homes. An extremely affordable option, vinyl siding can perfectly mimic the look of other types of siding, including wood, stone, and slate. It has improved strength, weather resistance, and comes in a variety of colors. However, if there is the need to replace damaged siding, there is the possibility that whole sections will need to be redone.
2. Fiber Cement Siding – Fiber cement siding is comprised of wood fibers mixed with sand and cement. Thicker than vinyl, it has the ability to withstand harsh weather, such as wind or hail, and its stability allows for paint to last longer on its surface. Favored because of its easy maintenance (it only needs to be painted every 15-20 years), it’s also popular due to its green characteristics, since it is made of at least 10-20% recycled materials.
3. Insulated Siding – Insulated siding is just like vinyl siding with the added benefit of insulation. Insulation is glued inside and can provide increased energy efficiency, due to its ability to combat “thermal bridging” in the home. Although it costs more than standard vinyl, it lays flatter than conventional siding and can reduce noise and heat loss in the home.
4. Engineered Wood Siding – One of the newest products on the market is engineered wood siding, which is manufactured by combining wood by-products with bonding agents. The result is a siding that has the aesthetic features of real wood, but is stronger than wood and can be painted, giving it a much longer life expectancy than natural wood. As long as it is installed correctly to avoid moisture-related problems, it can last years in almost any color you desire.
5. Aluminum Siding – With the maintenance associated with wood siding, homeowners wanted an alternative, so aluminum siding became available on the market. Evolved over the years as a low-maintenance option, aluminum siding comes in a broad range of styles, refinished colors, and textures.
If you are looking for siding in the Charlotte, North Carolina area, call us at Crown Builders today.When you choose us, you’ll get expert installation and a lifetime transferable warranty on your new vinyl siding. We offer a wide variety of styles, manufacturers and trim accessories.